Many of us resolved that 2017 would be the year that we become healthy and fit. Well, we are five months into the year, and many of us have obviously fallen off the wagon. No worries, I’m here to encourage you to “jump back on the wagon”. There are many reasons why we should stick to our health and fitness goals, so don’t give up. Today I will briefly speak about the role that nutrition will play in making our fitness, health, and professional goals a reality.
Importance of Nutrition- Internally and Externally:
Let’s talk about how good nutrition affects us internally. We can avoid and prevent myriads of chronic diseases such as:
- Type II diabetes
- Heart disease
- Some types of cancers—and so forth.
- We also gain more energy and shed unwanted pounds.
- We gain confidence and develop a positive self-image.
Okay, so for many of us; evading these illnesses is not a strong enough motivator.
Well, let’s see how good nutrition affects us externally.
- When we eat the right foods, our skin glows.
- We obviously lose weight, and we enjoy shopping for new and beautiful clothes to complement our fit new frame.
- When you are healthy you radiate beauty, and you attract others—even potential employers and business partners.
How to create healthier habits?
- Consume a plant based diet, exercise 3 times per week, and drink plenty of water.
- Commit to engaging in these behaviors for at least 66 days—it takes that long to develop a habit.
How does nutrition relate to our roles as professionals, leaders, business owners?
As a professional woman, I can tell you many stories of how I was treated when I was heavier and now. You see, America loves to see healthy and fit individuals. When we are overweight, people automatically think that we are unhealthy, lazy or unmotivated—not always true at all.
Furthermore, African-Americans are often expected to be heavy and unhealthy. I don’t know about you, but I want to dispel that myth. I love to be respected inwardly, as well as outwardly when I conduct my business ventures. So, who is with me in staying the course for becoming healthy and fit in 2017?
Here are three special tips for taking control of your health and wellness:
1.Please follow a realistic eating pattern-like the 365 Healthy Eating and Wellness program.
2.Also, it is ideal to gain support of family, friends, and health groups (online or face-to face) during the journey.
3.Stay focused on a healthier lifestyle, no matter what—Our health comes first!
Wishing you all the best—please work hard at everything you wish to achieve because whatever comes easily does not last.
For any questions or additional information about the 365 Healthy Eating and Wellness Program, please contact us below:
Karlyn G. Emile, DHSc., MPH, CHES
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
KGE Health and Wellness Services, Inc.